Key points and Video Below:
- INTERREG CARES to improve access of OECS nations to French health systems
- Initiatives to improve health governance and coordination in the region
- Seventeen essential medical projects launched
- Focus on improving health care for every citizen of the OECS
INTERREG CARES aspires to achieve multiple objectives, including deeper access by nationals of OECS Member States to health services in French Departments, better interconnectedness of regional health systems and building the capacity of health professionals and decision makers.
To ensure better access to French health systems, the Project is facilitating the implementation of harmonised fees and billing procedures, the coordination of medical data sharing and the creation of a unique identification numbers for patients of the OECS.
INTERREG CARES resulted from a close collaboration between OECS Member States and public / private health organisations of Guadeloupe and Martinique, including:
- the Regional Health Agencies of Guadeloupe, Saint-Martin, Saint-Barthélémy and Martinique,
- the Hospital University Centers of Martinique and Guadeloupe,
- Basse-Terre Hospital Center
- Maurice Selbonne Hospital Center
- GCS Caraïbes et Archipel
- Les Eaux Claires Clinical center
- CAREST Association
The regional initiative includes seventeen projects which will be implemented in multiple specialized medical fields.
These include, telemedicine, anticipated cancer screening and treatments through new technologies such as PETscan, screening of drepanocytose and HIV, orthopedic surgeries, pediatric surgery, cardiology, ophthalmology, emergency treatments, access to medical labs and assistance to the elderly.
Projects are expected to be completed in December 2020.
The project led by the Regional Agency of Guadeloupe totals 5 millions Euros funded by two European Funds including 4 239 553 Euros mobilised through INTERREG funds and 483 341 Euros solicited to the European Development Funds (EDF).
|This story aligns with OECS Strategic Objective No.1: Regional Integration.|