In 2017, the OECS joined the GGGI and, in 2018, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Institute to formalize a framework of cooperation, to facilitate collaboration between the two bodies and to promote programmes and joint activities in support of capacity-building and development of green growth options for the OECS Member States.
The specific objectives of the MOU include:
- the development and implementation of a regional strategy and approach for inclusive green growth and climate-smart development;
- strengthening national and local green growth planning, financing and institutional frameworks in OECS Member States;
- increasing green investment flows, including the development of bankable green investment projects in OECS Member States;
- improving multi-directional knowledge-sharing and learning between OECS Member States and GGGI Member countries; and
- pursuing cooperation in other areas that the Parties agree upon.
The meeting discussed the fulfilment of elements of the MOU and accelerating work under the partnership, including the provision of human resource capacity to be based at the OECS Commission to undertake further work.
The meeting also noted that Mr. Ban Ki Moon is now President of GGGI and that the Institute is focused on helping to mobilise finance for its member countries.
Earlier this year, the GGGI also set up a regional office in Mexico City, where Mr. Chan Ho Park is the Head of the Programme for Latin America and the Caribbean. The presence of this regional office allows for even closer collaboration with the OECS Region and for greater support for building partnerships and pursuing green growth opportunities in the region.